By Guy Brodetzki, Senior Product Manager
You can now integrate 1500+ applications with SignalWire’s advanced texting and calling capabilities using Zapier with no coding required...at all. For those who are unfamiliar, Zapier is a tool that connects web applications using Zaps: workflows that connect two apps and create automated tasks. You choose a trigger and your Zap will perform an action any time that trigger is...well...triggered. Zapier even offers a drag and drop UI so that you can quickly and easily set up integrations.
Our community asked us for a Zapier integration, and we take the needs of our developers very seriously, so we worked with our engineering team to make it happen. Now you can quickly and easily integrate telecom features like voice calls and text messaging into Zapier automated workflows. Right now we support the following actions and triggers:
- Sending and receiving SMS or MMS
- Making and receiving phone calls
What can I build with this?
Our goal at SignalWire is simplicity and our new partnership with Zapier helps you to trigger SMS and Phone calls with ease. Without coding a single line, you can integrate SignalWire with over 1,500 applications. These integrations are popular with SMS notifications. Perhaps you don’t check your Google Calendar as much as you should. Next time your boss adds a time on your calendar, you can set it up to send you a text so you won’t miss it.
You can also send your sales team updates about new leads if you integrate SignalWire with applications like LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms. If you use Google Sheets, you can use Zapier to send you an SMS when new entries are added which could be a great way to keep track of referrals.
You can even assign changes in a conference list as a trigger. If your weekly team meeting always has the same four people, you can get a text or call letting you know if someone is missing or if there’s an extra person.
How do I start?
Keep in mind that this is the early access phase of the public beta, so we do not advise immediately pushing mission-critical processes to it just yet. But, if you want to be among the first to explore what is possible with this next-generation integration, now's your chance. All you need to do is sign up for a Zapier account and a SignalWire Space. If you haven't, the preceding links will take you to their respective sign-up pages.
Once your Zapier and SignalWire accounts have been created, you must also open this special link to enable the early access integration in your zaps.
As an example, let’s create a zap to send you a reminder SMS before your Google Calendar event takes place. It’s really easy by following these steps.
1. Start with a new project. From within the SignalWire interface, create a new project for use with your zap using the project switcher located in the top left of the page. For simplicity's sake, let's call it "Zapier".
2. Buy a new phone number. Staying within your Space's interface, select the "Phone Numbers" section on the left side vertical menu, then choose the "+ New" button in the upper right-hand portion of that page. Find a personalized local number using the search form on the right, or simply click on the "Buy" button to the right of any local number listed on that page. Once purchased, you can give your phone number an easy-to-remember name if you wish, but no further configuration is required.
3. Generate an API token. Once again staying within your Space, select the "API" section on the left side vertical menu, then choose the "+ New" button in the upper right-hand portion of that page. Leave the permissions as they are, and give your token a memorable name, then click "Save". Keep this tab open; we'll need the information on this page to authenticate your Zapier account (and hence your zap) to SignalWire.
4. Make a zap trigger.
- Putting your SignalWire tab to the side (but not closed, as we'll need it in just a moment), open a new tab to Zapier. Once logged-in, click on the orange "Make a Zap!" button in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- With the zap creation page open, click on the "Google Calendar" icon underneath "Choose App & Event". If you don't see the Google Calendar icon, simply search for it by typing in "Google Calendar" into the search box directly above "Your Apps".
- Under "Choose Trigger Event", select "Event Start", which will allow us to trigger this zap at a specified time before the start of an event. Once you've selected that and click "Continue", you may need to sign-in to Google through Zapier if you haven't already. You will be adequately prompted and guided to do so before being allowed to click the same "Continue" button again in order to proceed to the next step. Watch for a pop-up window allowing you to authorize Google Calendar for use with Zapier.
- Now we need to customize the event. Here we'll select the calendar that we'll be using for the zap, so if you have multiple calendars associated with your Google account, make sure that you select the specific calendar you wish to use. Then fill out the other parameters and "Continue" on…
- Now, all we need to complete this trigger and move on to the action configuration is to test it and continue on to…
5. Set up a zap action.
- Search for "SignalWire" in the search bar underneath the "Choose App & Event" heading.
- In the "Choose Action Event" dropdown menu, select "Send a Text Message", then "Continue".
- You now will be prompted to "Sign in to SignalWire". A pop-up screen appears requesting your Space URL, your Project ID, and your Authorization Token. Return to the tab you set aside earlier (the "API" page of your Space). There you'll find all three strings that can be copied with one click by hovering over each element and pasting them in their respective fields on the Zapier pop-up page. With all three strings pasted over, click on "Yes, Continue" at the bottom of the window, closing it.
- Back at the Zap setup tab, your SignalWire Space should appear linked. Click "Continue".
- Customizing the SMS to be sent is the next step. Here you'll enter in your phone number in the "To Number" field, and in the "From Number" field you'll put the phone number that you purchased back in step 2. Make sure to respect the formatting requirements specified underneath each field.
- For the body field, write whatever message you'd like your reminder to include, and make sure to make full use of the dynamic fields like the event's description, summary, and start time by clicking on the "Insert a Field" button on the right of the body input box.
- Continuing on, all that is left is to test your zap. If all is set up correctly, you should receive a test SMS from your new SignalWire phone number to your mobile phone.
- Turn your zap on. You’ll now receive an SMS notification before every meeting in your Google Calendar.
Come and build something great on SignalWire!
* Please check our pricing page for up to date pricing. Short code lease rates, carrier activation & pass-through rates apply. Please contact our sales department (Phone: +1.650.382.0000) for more information.